Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Three 3-Ingredient Treats

I just cringe every time I hear there's a new recall on dog treats or dog food. It seems as though the manufacturers don't understand that our dogs are like our children. I guess they have looser standards on pet food.  I started scouring the internet and Pinterest looking for treat ideas that I could make myself.  That way I know what is in the treat and don't have to worry about a recall.  

Before I start with the recipes for baked treats, I wanted to share the fruits and vegetables I give my dogs as treats:

Vegetables:
  • raw carrots
  • frozen peas
  • canned green beans
  • cucumbers
Fruits:
  • apple slices
  • frozen blueberries
  • bananas (fresh or frozen)
  • strawberries
  • watermelon
*Note:  Grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs!


Recipes

Here are some three ingredient recipes that are quick to make and my dogs love them:

Banana-Peanut Butter Treats

4 bananas (mashed)
2 cups peanut butter (no artificial sweeteners)
6 cups uncooked oats

I put the oats into my food processor and pulverize them into a powder.  I then add in the peanut butter and mashed banana and mix well.

I pinch tiny amounts, roll & flatten on parchment paper.  These are the perfect size treat for my mini's.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until hard.  I freeze all but a small amount I can use in a few days.


Bella as a puppy


Banana Treats

7 cups pulverized uncooked oats
3 ripe bananas (mashed, reserving 1/2 banana)
2 eggs

Mix together the oats, mashed bananas and eggs. Roll out to 1/4" thick and cut with a pizza cutter or cookie cutter. Place a thin slice of reserved banana on top and press into cookie. Bake on parchment at 375 F for 20-25 minutes until edges are brown and banana on top is dry. Store in refrigerator or freezer.

Carly as a Puppy




Pumpkin Peanut Butter Treats


1/2 cup peanut butter (no artificial sweeteners)
1 cup canned or fresh pumpkin puree
1-3/4 cup flour (oat, rice, wheat - your choice)

Mix all ingredients well.  Roll out on floured covered surface. Cut out with cookie cutter or use a pizza cutter to cut into squares. Place on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 F for 8 to 10 minutes. I freeze all but a small amount I can use in a few days.

Abby getting kisses



Speaking of treats....






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate all feedback.