Friday, November 10, 2017

Should You Let Your Dog Sleep With You?

Should You Let Your Dog Sleep With You?
Ask the above question on any dog forum and you will get a wide range of answers with a sprinkling of spirited debate over why you should or should not invite your pooch into the family bed. I personally believe it can't be a black and white subject because there are so many variables with each family and each dog. I listed some why’s and why not’s below that I have pulled together from different discussions I have had with my vet, my trainer and dog forum members.

I have always allowed my dogs into our bed from day one as young as six weeks old. Those first few nights of transition were much easier for the pup and myself. I always kept a potty box next to the bed so all I had to do was place them in the box when they started to wiggle and showing signs of needing to potty. I know this sounds lazy, but it always worked great for me.

Scooter
With five mini’s, even our king-sized bed sometimes felt pretty crowded. Fast forward to today, our elderly gentlemen, Scooter, can no longer sleep with us because he doesn’t seem to judge distance well anymore and will walk right off the bed. Afraid he would break a bone, I made him a warm cuddly spot in a crate in our bedroom. He didn't object and seems to be happy not having to compete with his sisters for the warmest spot under the covers.

Abby
Little Miss Independent (Abby) decided one night to sleep in the crate too for reasons unknown to me. I bought another crate so her and Scooter each had their own bed space. She jumps up to cuddle every morning, but she prefers her own bed.

Now sharing with only three dogs, the bed feels rather spacious, lol. I personally love having my dogs close to me at night. I’m not sure if it’s the right decision, but it feels right to me (and them)!



👍You might feel more relaxed or safe with your dog in your bed, especially if you live alone.

👍The rhythmic sound of your dog's gentle snoring and breathing can lower your heart rate which means less stress and more relaxation.

👍Waking up with a cuddly, sweet fur ball is always nice.

👍If you are away from home many hours each day, co-sleeping is a good time to bond and spend time together.

👍On cold nights, those warm little bodies are like gentle heating pads.

👍They will alert you the minute any unusual noise is heard. No worries about being awakened in your bedroom unexpectedly by a burglar.

👍It is a proven fact that sleeping with your dog(s) helps stimulate your immunity.



👎Dominant or aggressive dogs can become even more so if they are allowed in your bed.

👎Dogs can have a form of restless leg syndrome that could wake you when you get kicked.

👎You may be allergic to your dog's dander or the allergens that sticks to his feet and fur when he goes outside.

👎If your partner doesn't want to sleep with a dog, this could cause some pretty serious disagreements.

👎If you have a compulsive licker or scratcher, you will definitely not get a good night's sleep.

👎Some people find it distasteful or dirty to sleep with an animal and are worried about germs or catching something.

My snoozing schnauzers:



9 comments:

  1. If i had a partner that didnt like the dogs in the bed id direct them toward the couch lol and as far as catching something...ummm if you havent caught anything from their wet kisses or being under the same roof with them I can gurantee u wont catch anything from them under the cover either! I would be lost without mine in the bed with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I totally agree. Luckily, my husband loves our dogs as much as me. My dogs are like my security blanket, I don't like not having them with me. That might happen once every two years or so.

      Delete
  2. I have 3 schnauzers, and usually a foster schnauzer. Each of mine sleep in a crate in what used to be the eat in kitchen. It's their spot, and their den. I live with chronic pain, so I toss and turn so it is not easy with 4 dogs in a queen bed. Some don't agree with crating, but all of mine go in with just the command "box" plus they get a treat for being kids. They all have cozy beds, and 1 of my little girls has to be coaxed from her crate because she is NOT a morning dog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think crates are a good thing. I crated mine as pups when I was out of the house or could not keep an eye on them. Now, two of mine sleep in the crate at night by choice and three are in our bed. If they keep you from getting a good night's sleep, I definitely think they should have their own bed.

      Delete
  3. Love this as the only negatives are things that a dog owner just wouldnt worry about. My pup was crate trained before i got her at 8 weeks old. I carried this on so she could not be destructive when i was out or asleep. After a couple of months i used to leave the crate door open and she would still sleep in there anyway. Eventually she was allowed on the bed and 5 years on very rarely sleep anywhere else. I feel strange when she is not with me on the bed. In winter we keep each other warm but in the summer she prefers her own bed to keep cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Those schnauzers sure have us trained, don't they? :)

      Delete
  4. They are all so sweet! I am getting a little girl this Friday from the breeder you got your guys from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your schnauzer's are so sweet. I am getting a little teacup girl on Friday from the breeder of your 4. She has big shoes to fill we lost our Mali girl in July. We have another teacup named Demi Shae!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all so sweet! I am getting a little girl this Friday from the breeder you got your guys from.
    my dog just sleeps all day

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate all feedback.