Sunday, November 20, 2016

5 Things I Am Thankful For



As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, many of us start to reflect on things that we are thankful for. This has been an awesome year for me. I not only have been able to retire, I am now able to spend so much quality time with my family and my schnauzers. When you work full time, it seems that all you have time to do is run from one chore to the next. Life has slowed down significantly and become much sweeter. I want to reflect a little bit on my five schnauzer sweethearts that I am thankful for every day:


Scooter - Our first schnauzer puppy and our tiniest of the group. He introduced us to the official "schnauzer hug". A true lap dog unless you happen to sneeze and then he runs away like someone is shooting at him. He no longer allows anyone to pick him up other than me or my husband. He's a little quirky because of his age but endearing just the same. His puppy kisses are a little tougher to take because of his old dog breath, but just as sweet.





Bella - The ultimate schnauzer "lady". She is so gentle, sweet and loving, I often think what a great mommy she would have been. She is a cuddle bug and is always ready to keep your lap or thigh warm while you relax on the couch. She is the official pack "licker". The other dogs have learned if you sit directly in front of her, she will give them a great back massage with her tongue. Bella is terrified of storms and loud noises and that includes dad yelling at the TV during ball games. She has really curbed his "enthusiasm" because he can't stand to see her upset.




Abby - We like to call Abby the "sh** stirrer" because she is always nipping and barking at the other dogs trying to lure them into a rough and tumble game. She loves to play and I honestly think she will never outgrow it. Being the tiniest of the girls, she loves nothing better than to curl up on your lap and accept all the petting and kissing you feel like giving. Abby takes a while to warm up to strangers, but when she finally does, you are her best friend for life and she will never leave you alone. She is the pack "face licker". She likes to make sure everyone's face is clean, even if they don't want her to and she will not take no for an answer.




Carly - Carly is our largest and most gentle of the pack. She is timid but loving. She is quirky in some situations like walking in certain areas of the house. She acts as though something may fall on her at any moment when walking down the hall. It has never happened, but you can't convince her differently. Carly sleeps under the covers next to your legs so you never have to worry about cold legs. She is quite the little leg warmer. My husband and I joke about her being not the brightest crayon in the box, but her gentle sweetness more than makes up for it.




Daisy - The baby of our group is definitely the firecracker. She is also the keeper of the doors. If the other dogs have the misfortune of coming in the door after her, she has to be sure they know she's the boss by growling and jumping on them. She has been and continues to be our biggest challenge because of her incessant barking and fear aggression with strangers and strange dogs. We won't give up on her though because when she is at home with just us or our grandkids, she is the most loving and sweet dog you could ever want. Her beautiful thick coat makes her the most cuddly and cushy teddy bear.

Some people may call me crazy because I spend so much time caring for, talking about and loving on my pups, but I know there is no other living thing on this earth that is more loyal, loving and accepting. I innately understand them and they understand me.

I have learned a dog can help you appreciate the simple things in life and remind you to be thankful for the important things in life - family, friends and love (and belly scratches).  Scooter, Bella, Abby, Carly, Daisy and I would like to wish you and your family a great Thanksgiving!

Daisy wanted her turkey early....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate all feedback.